Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Value of Education

I have always been a fan of a quote attested to John Wooden,"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts!" When I ran all my areas at Lakeview, I was always pushing the budget to be sure there were $$s in place for educational activities. I was also pushing my management team to assure they were working with staff on their needs. Everyone benefited.

Now, I am taking that same principle towards my own goals. Getting an MBA was something I was always intent on doing. But, when you are working 50+ hours a week, traveling, family responsibilities, well, you can do the math. Currently I am at the half way point on earning an MBA from Augsburg College. A line I used in my admission essay stated a reason to attain an MBA was to find out what I had done right, what I had done wrong, what I could have done better and what I just didn't know. Now, at the half way point, I can see I did a lot right, no ttoo much wrong, but really have found out a lot I didn't know and what I could have done better.

I also have been working towards a Project Managment Professional Certification. I always felt I had strong Project Mgmt skills, but same is true here in finding out what I could have done better and didn't realize.

Both of these I wish I could have done long ago. But, it is never too late for anyone and these enhanced skills are ones that anyone I contract with will benefit from. My plan is to continue gaining certifications in all the areas I list as skilled areas.

All customers will benefit from these investments on my part and wanted to make sure all were aware of my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment